STEP IV: pharmaceutical - final procurement selection
The new procurement model also allows for a radical redesign of the medicine tariff based upon safety, efficacy and economy. Flexibility is built into the process as it does not demand 100% compliance with the product selections, but rather, only requires a reasonable percentage compliance (70–80% depending on the group).
Information services / support
- Reference procurement contracts
- Linkage of procurement information to produce data and selection
- Guidance examples resulting from the process
- Consultancy: how contracting has been carried out and how procurement contracts can be re-applied in any specific setting.
On the implementation of STEPSelect
The implementation of the STEPSelect process is relatively complex and involves a significant number of key stakeholders with different perspectives on pharmaceutical product use. It is important that a robust fully inclusive process is initiated in order to realise the benefits that this system can bring.
- Methodologies used to implement the process
- Experience of the different communication mechanisms
- Structuring of relevant groupings
- Consultancy: how success has been achieved and how it can be applied to any specific setting